The latest Steam Railway magazine (No.404 July-August) has details on the 2012 HRA Steam Railway Readers Award – part of the HRA annual award scheme for Heritage Railways.
We at the LNWR George the Fifth Steam Locomotive Trust believe that the The LNWR Webb Coal Tank Webb Coal Tank 1054 (BR 58926); the sole surviving member of a class of 300, which has recently undergone an extensive restoration to working order, thoroughly deserves nomination.
And George agrees! He says, support one of his relations.
So why would anyone want to nominate the Coal Tank?
Well – lots of reasons really!
- The engine now operating is the result of a high quality, and totally volunteer-based, extensive overhaul.
- Historical research has benefited the completion of the engine in an authentic manner and provided information for the publication of an award-winning book and audio CD.
- Detail features such as the manufacture of replica LNW headlamps and engine driver’s caps for the footplate crew enhance that authenticity.
- Carefully considered renumbering/livery changes are helping to interpret the story of the engine during it’s working life, such as the re-creation of the last train from Abergavenny to Merthyr.
- Completion of the project has made us more aware of the Coal Tank’s importance in the whole spectrum of railway and locomotive heritage. Precious Few LNWR engines have survived into preservation and the Coal Tank is a unique glimpse of a class which was once a mainstay of the London & North Western Railway. Operational Late Victorian engines are a rare site in preservation steam as it is, and the Coal Tank is the only operational Late Victorian Engine representing the old LNWR.
For more information on the Webb’s Coal Tanks, check out the Wikipedia page here. Further information on 1054 (BR 58926) and on the dedicated team behind her careful and considered restoration to working order can be found here.
The nomination form can be found on page 20 of the current issue of Steam Railway. (Well worth the subscription we might add). The nomination form states: “I nominate… because…” We’ve outlined just a few of the reasons why the Coal Tank deserves the nomination here to help you out!
Completed forms should be sent to:
HRA Steam Railway Awards
Bauer Media House
Lynchwood, Peterborough PE2 6EA
Name, address, home and mobile telephone and email must be supplied. Photocopied forms will not be accepted however you can email your nomination (i.e The Coal Tank of course!) to: email@example.com